The Old Silhillians Golfing Society was formed as an official section of the OSA at a meeting held on 9th May 1952. Dr K T Waters (OSA President) was in the Chair and thirty six other members were present. For the first year W R L Horton was elected President, J M Urry Captain, R S Bragg Vice Captain and R E Priestley Hon Secretary.
Initially membership of the Society was conditional on being a past pupil of Solihull School with a paid up subscription to the OSA and also being a member of a golf club with a recognised handicap. This rule was relaxed in later years to also include masters teaching at the School.
Olton Golf Club accepted the Golfing Society on an annual membership basis and it was agreed that all home matches would be played at Olton. In the first year the member's annual subscription was set at one guinea with juniors at half a guinea. The total membership in the first year was forty nine which included fifteen vice presidents. The Headmaster of the School was approached with a view to setting up tuition sessions for a limited number of pupils as the newly formed British Golf Foundation had agreed to cover the cost for the first twelve months.
The 1952 Fixture List included the Commemoration Day and Old Boys Day Meetings plus four matches against other local Golf Clubs and Societies.During the 1952 season J M Urry, D M G Sutherland and R E Priestley were selected to play in the Warwickshire County 1st Team.
The Society has continued it's development with membership numbers now approaching one hundred and sixty. On the playing side five competitions including an invitation event, four A Team and five B Team matches and a Captain's Away Day are now included in the annual list of events. The highlight of the year is when the Society represent Solihull School at the Public School's Old Boys Golf Tournament which is held each year in late September at Hunstanton G C and Royal West Norfolk G C in Brancaster. Solihull have won the Trophy on two occasions, 1998 and 2008 and were losing finalists in 1970, 1976, 1986 and 1999.
Although the Old Silhillians Golfing Society has a long standing association with Olton Golf Club they do recognise the continuing generosity and goodwill shown by the officers and committee, the playing members and the staff of the club in allowing the Society the use of the facilities at Olton.